Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Reassurance for Doubting Hearts

Abraham fell facedown; he laughed and said to himself, "will a son be born to a man a hundred years old? Will Sarah ber a child at the age of nintey?" (Genesis 17:17) Sarah. . . bore a son. . . at the very time God had promised him. . . . Sarah said, "God has brought me laughter, and every one who hears about this will laugh with me." (Genesis 212,6) This is a story of a God who keeps His promises! He promised a Savior from the line of Abraham. Abraham was 100 and Sarah 90! Yet Sarah bore Issac in her old age. Starting the fulfillment of the promise of Jesus Christ. Part of the story that is left out is that when God told Abraham and Sarah, they didn't fully believe in God's promise. They went out to find another way to fulfill it themselves (Hagar and Ishmael). This plan failed in that it brought a lot of trouble to the household of Abraham and Sarah. In His time God fulfilled his promise to Abraham, not Abraham's time. We need to have patience and wait on the Lord. As hard as it is, the laughter and joy that result are immeasurable. For instance, I had planned to be married by 25 and start having kids around 29. At 25, I didn't even have a boyfriend. I was deeply saddened by this fact and felt like I was "behind" my friends. As it turned out I got married at 29 and had one child at 33. The joy of this was worth the wait. God had the 11x14 photo when I had a 4x6. God's timing is based on a bigger picture than we see and it is up to us to wait on the Lord so we can experience the fulfillment of His promises.

No comments:

Post a Comment